Our History

Precious Blood School opened in September 1950, fullfilling the dream of Rev. Msgr Michael O’Halloran, the founding pastor of the parish. The Daughters of Mary and Joseph staffed grades 1 through 4 in a home purchased at the corner of 3rd and Occidental Blvd. Rooms were added gradually until all eight grades were available, some in double grade classes.

Timeline
In the late 50’s and 60’s, the Anglo-American population moved west and the school became very cosmopolitan. In the 70’s, the school population was almost entirely hispanic. In the 80’s, there was a growth of Filipino families. The school population is now 63% Filipino, 27% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 4% Anglo American, and 3% Afro-American.

Administration and development
The Daughters of Mary and Joseph withdrew from the school at the end of the 1970-1971 school year. The Sisters of Charity supplied one sister as principal from 1971-1984. In August 1984, a lay principal was contracted. In 1995, Kindergarten and 7th grade were added, and the 8th grade added in 1996. A computer lab was added in 1998.

Parish Leadership
We offer our appreciation to Rev. Msgr Michael O’Halloran, Rev. John J. Fallon, Rev. Jeffrey Steffon for their leadership through these past years, as well as to Rev. Paul Brogan who was the interim pastor 2000-01. Rev. Melchor Villermo has been the pastor since 2002.